To update your website to the latest version of Virtuemart 2.9.x for Joomla 3 you have two options.
ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR WEBSITE BEFORE COMPLETING AN UPDATE
Option 1: Automatic Updates
- Log into the Joomla administrator area of your website
- On the left hand side of the Joomla administrator area of your website you will see a "Maintenance" option
- If updates are available for Virtuemart the "updates are available" option will display the number of updates which you can install
- Once you have selected the "updates are available" option you will see the latest version of Virtuemart available to automatically install at your website
Option 2: Manual Installation
- Visit http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files
- Download the latest version release of Virtuemart 2.9.x from the website
- After you have downloaded the latest version unzip the zip file first onto your computer before installing the extension
- Make a FULL BACKUP OF YOUR JOOMLA WEBSITE INCLUDING FILES AND DATABASE
- log into the Joomla administrator area of your website
- Select the Extensions menu and select the browse button and upload & install button to upload the com_virtuemart zip file and com_virtuemart AIO zip file
- The install process will overwrite your current installation of Virtuemart. You do not need to uninstall the extension first.